SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Journalist experienced in broadcast and digital news production, news writing, video storytelling, shooting and editing video, using social media tools for news gathering, producing live newscasts, breaking news and enterprise coverage.
Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere
Fluent in social media and the social web
WordPress and Drupal content management systems, basic HTML and CSS knowledge
Videography (experience with Sony PD 150 video camera & KODAK Zi8 Pocket video camera)
Native Spanish speaker
- Kiplinger digital media fellowship, 2014 fellow
- Paul Miller Washington reporting program, 2014-2015 fellow
- Poynter Institute Producer Project, 2013 participant
- United Nations Foundation Global Issues Press Fellowship, 2012 fellow
ASSOCIATED PRESS TELEVISION NEWS (APTN)
Video producer 5/12-present
- Produce breaking news coverage under tight deadlines for APTN clients such as the BBC News, The Washington Post and NBC News.
- Write and produce news and enterprise packages and edit video using Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere.
- Copy edit scripts for grammar, accuracy, clarity and AP style.
- Coordinate coverage with field producers, photojournalists and stringers.
- Monitor social media for breaking news, story ideas and news tips.
- Pitch story ideas, conceive elements, research angles and work with field staff to gather elements.
INTERNATIONAL CENTER FOR JOURNALISTS (ICFJ)
Program Officer 2/11-5/12
- Used project management skills to execute and oversee journalism programs with a heavy emphasis on digital tools and technology. Topics ranged from mobile reporting to video journalism and social media.
- Key member of ICFJ’s social media team that helped develop the organization’s social media strategy.
- Updated website with multimedia content, used social media to engage and inform audience about ICFJ’s work.
Video journalist 11/10-5/11
- Developed original story ideas, researched topics and coordinated all interviews.
- Shot, wrote and edited video stories in Spanish for AOL Latino, which received about 2 million visitors per month.
CENTER FOR PUBLIC INTEGRITY
Reporting fellow 08/09-08/10
- Selected for one-year investigative journalism fellowship.
- Contributed reporting and research to investigative projects that received national attention.
- Gathered and analyzed research, databases, court records and filed FOIA requests as part of investigative work.
- Researched, reported and wrote stories for the Center’s website.
CBS 11/TXA 21 NEWS
Associate Producer, News Writer 08/06-07/09
- Produced TXA 21 newscasts, CBS 11 Morning newscasts, CBS 11 Morning News cut-ins.
- Wrote clear, accurate, concise copy for CBS 11/TXA 21 newscasts.
- Coordinated live reports for CBS 11 and TXA 21 newscasts.
CBS 2 CHICAGO
News producer apprentice 02/06-08/06
- Selected for six-month paid apprenticeship through competitive process to train as a news producer.
- Worked in investigative unit fielding and following up with e-mail and telephone tips, conducting extensive online and legal research, participated in undercover stings.
- Wrote for 5:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. newscasts, field produced for assignment desk, produced webcasts and online news.
NBC 4 News, MSNBC, Dow Jones Newswires, U.S. Capitol Hill House Radio-Television Gallery, Illinois Governor’s Office Dunn Fellow
American University School of Communication Washington, D.C.
Master of Arts, journalism and public affairs
The George Washington University School of Media and Public Affairs Washington, D.C.
Bachelor of Arts, political communication major; journalism minor
Coursework: European Union policy, international relations, international law